Thursday, February 26, 2015

What's the Deal Dreadful? Review of Writing Fight Scenes (Writer's Craft Book 1) by Rayne Hall

**Press**

   Hello Lovelies!
       Thanks to the current drunken binge that Mother Nature has been on in the state for Florida, I am sick again. Which is horribly annoying since I have tickets this weekend to attend Pensacon. So I am doping myself up to the gills with over the counter cold medicines, vitamin c and some soup in order to feel better before tomorrow. However, I am back again with a review of Writing Fight Scenes (Writer's Craft Book 1) Ebook by Rayne Hall.I am a fledgling writer and I am trying to learn how to constantly improve my work. While I am an avid reader, I thought that it would be fairly easy to sit down and write a fight scene in one of my current projects. I thought that since I read a lot and there are fight scenes there that I would be able to do something decent. But I found it rather difficult when writing the fight scene so I needed some help with that. While I own several writers books on voice, characterization,plot and even how to write science fiction they didn't go into depth on how to actually help work out a fight scene.  The author gives excellent advice on how to build suspense which is critical to a fight scene in my opinion and what common mistakes to avoid. She also gives advice to writers who aren't versed in the specific details of a weapon, which I am not,  on why it may or may not be a good fit for your character. I especially like the fact that she also touched upon the Fight or Flight chemical response and even tension that happens between the characters when in a combat scene. I was surprised to see the YouTube references in the book. While excellent to help visualize I would like to have had more written examples. However, I was really pleased to see that there was a portion dealing with pacing and dialogue which I thought was helpful. Overall, I found that this book was extremely helpful with teaching me how to write better fight scenes and I would definitely suggest it to the beginning writer as a valuable tool.


  If you would like to pick up your own copy of Writing Fight Scenes (Writer's Craft Book 1) Ebook by Rayne Hall you can do so on Amazon. It is $9.98 however it is currently on sale for $ .99. I hope that you enjoyed this installment of What's the Deal Dreadful, until next time lovelies!




No comments:

Post a Comment